Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Holy wow, this book is AH-MAZ-ING!

The blurb:

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

My thoughts:


Jennifer L. Armentrout is an author, but she might as well be a ROCK STAR, in my opinion!  There are several authors that write in this genre that I seriously enjoy reading.  However, I don’t think any of them have the knack, talent, hutzpah, whatever you want to call it to put a story to paper (or monitor) like this one does.  JLA’s newest book in the Lux series is called Onyx and it is the follow up to Obsidian.  There is also a novella, Shadows, that you NEED to read, preferably before you pick this book up.
 
Onyx pretty much picks up right where Obsidian left off.  We get reacquainted with Katy (Kitten) and Daemon, who have this unbelievably strong, um, physical connection to each other, at least that’s what they keep telling each other.  Daemon is an alien, who lives next door to Kat with his twin sister, Dee.  Yes, there are aliens among us.  Daemon has healed Kat, creating a bond with her that seems to give her some super-awesome powers of her own.

We are also introduced to a new student in school, Blake.  He is the “perfect human boy” Kat is looking for to prove to the world, or just herself, that there is nothing but physical attraction between her and Daemon.  As with most people in this sleepy WV town, there is more than meets the eye.  We learn more about the DOD and their agenda when it comes to the Luxen and their friends.  The story steamrolls so quickly that, as I neared the end of the book I was literally on the balls of my feet dancing, afraid to get to the last page.  Opal can’t get here soon enough.

JLA’s ability to weave action, suspense, teen angst, steamy passion and poignant loss into a seamless story is not easily done, but she makes it seem effortless.  I have always considered myself a bigger fan of Alex and Aiden from the Covenant series, but after reading this book, I’m so torn about my favorite book boyfriend, Aiden or Daemon.  Diety comes out soon, so I might change my mind again, lol.

So, wrapping up, what the heck can  I say about Jennifer L. Armentrout’s book?  If I had to rate Onyx on a scale of 1-10, it would easily get a 28, at least.  Get it now, do not pass GO, unless you haven’t read Shadows and Obsidian yet.
 
Oh yeah, and movie studio types, someone seriously needs to option this lady’s work for a movie.  It is THAT good!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed Onyx. I found it a bit hard to get into at the beginning, but man oh man the last 1/4 of the book was excellent!

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete